Fire Safety in the Home

Fire Safety in the Home

ref: http://www.housingauthority.gov.hk/hdw/en/aboutus/events/firesafety05/tips_handbookA.htm

(1) Kitchens / Bathrooms


Stove should be kept clear of odds and ends such as waste papers and other combustibles.
Stove should be regularly cleaned to prevent grease accumulation.


Store cooking fuel such as liquefied petroleum gas and kerosene (not more than one container at any time) well away from the stove and sources of heat.
Kerosene must be stored in metal containers and tightly closed.
Never fill a kerosene stove or heater when it is alight.


Take extra care when cooking. Beware of burning and boiling over.
Do not leave your cooking unattended, especially for pans of fat or cooking oil.
Always switch off the stove before leaving the premises.

Gas appliances

Installation should be carried out by qualified technicians. Make sure that the area is well ventilated. In case of a gas leak:
Turn off the gas supply at the pressure regulator switch only. Do not touch or operate the ignition switch.
Open all windows and doors wide to disperse the gas.
Do not use the telephone or operate any electrical switches.
Do not use the telephone or operate any electrical switches.
If the gas leak is serious, or if you are unsure of the reason, leave the premises at once and dial 999 to seek help from the Fire Services Department. Notify your neighbours to evacuate, but do not press any doorbells.
If the gas leak stops after the gas supply is turned off, call your gas supplier for thorough checking.


Unplug the refrigerator and get rid of the dust on the motor and compressor at regular intervals.
Older models which exhaust air from the rear should be spaced away from the wall to allow for dissipation of heat.

Kitchen Doors

Do not remove or replace kitchen doors which provide fire resistant qualities.


Open the bathroom windows to facilitate ventilation if balanced flue gas water heater is in operation.

(2) Electrical Appliances and Electric Circuits


Before installing air-conditioners, examine the power consumption to avoid overloading.

Electrical Appliances

Avoid prolonged use of air-conditioners, electric fans and televisions, etc.
Allow sufficient space behind your TVs, Hi-Fi sets, refrigerators and microwave ovens and around the ventilation openings for heat dissipation.
Disconnect the electrical appliances from the power socket when not in use (except for refrigerators).


Never place the heater too close to beds, curtains or settees.
Do not dry your clothes on top of the heater.
Place portable heaters securely so that they would not be knocked down easily.


Always handle power points, switches and plugs with dry hands.
Never connect too many plugs to the same socket to avoid overloading.

Electric Wiring

Should not attempt to extend electric wires.
Avoid placing them in passage ways or under heavy furniture. Do not run them under rugs and carpets.

Make a habit of checking all the installations regularly, or having them checked at least once a year.
In case of short circuit, it should be checked by a qualified electrician without delay.

(3) Daily Life

Matches and Lighters

Keep matches and cigarette lighters out of the reach of children and warn children against playing with them.


Cigarette ends and matches must be properly extinguished before disposal in the ashtrays.

Cigarette ends

Never smoke in bed as mattresses could be set on fire by a lighted cigarette.

Foam rubber or fabric-mounted furniture

Pay special attention to foam rubber or fabric-mounted sofas or chairs because they can be easily ignited by a lighted cigarette end, thus causing a fire and giving out toxic gases and smoke.


The overheating of left-on-and-forgotten irons would often set scorched clothes on fire, especially if the ironing board is made of wood and covered with a cloth.

Burning joss sticks and joss papers

Joss sticks and papers should be burnt inside a metal container, clear of combustibles such as waste papers and carton boxes.
All ashes must be extinguished thoroughly before disposal.

Home Decoration

Use non-flammables or materials that are not combustible easily.
Avoid replacing fire resistant fixtures such as kitchen doors and main doors.
Do not change the usage of balcony.


Do not install fixed window grilles so that the windows can be opened easily for rescue in case of fire.

Check around before going to bed

Make sure that all gas appliances and kerosene stoves are switched off and cigarettes extinguished.
Make sure that all electrical appliances such as fans, televisions and portable heaters are either switched off or unplugged.

JB Fire Door 防火門防火玻璃門 產品認證 (PCCS-FD) - recognized by the HKCSL (Hong Kong Certification Services Limited) to ensure the door quality as well as performance reliability.

No comments:

Post a Comment